Tuesday, April 03, 2012

A bit about me...

Before I get going with the articles, I figured I should introduce myself a little better!  In case you're wondering, here's a little bit more info about me!

My Bio

"Dr. McNamee graduated first in her class of 120 students at the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM), receiving her Naturopathic Doctor (N.D.) degree as well as the Governor’s Award of Excellence for her accomplishments. She is licensed to practice Naturopathic Medicine in Ontario and is currently a member of the Canadian Association of Naturopathic Doctors (CAND).

Throughout Dr. McNamee’s four years at CCNM, she received in-depth training in medical sciences, diagnosis, physical examinations and naturopathic modalities. During her final year, she saw patients on a full-time basis at the Robert Schad Naturopathic Clinic. Additionally, she completed a clinical rotation with Dr. Arvin Jenab ND., at the Queen West Community Health Centre, a free naturopathic clinic catering to low-income residents of the Queen West area in Toronto.

During Dr. McNamee’s formative years at CCNM, she had the opportunity to observe many naturopathic doctors in clinical practice, including Dr. Sandra Miranda, BSc, ND, and Dr. Joseph Kellerstein, DC, ND, FCAH, CCH. She had the privilege of working closely with Dr. Danny Wu, CMD., Dr. AC., PhD. for an extended period of time, expanding her knowledge in traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture.

She completed her four-year undergraduate degree at McMaster University in the Bachelor of Health Sciences Honours Program, the only one of its kind in Ontario which draws upon a full range of clinical departments. She maintained her position on the Dean’s Honour List throughout her time there and received the McMaster President’s Award during her first year. She had the privilege of working with Dr. Arya M. Sharma, MD/PhD, FRCPC, Professor of Medicine & Canada Research Chair for Cardiovascular Obesity Research and Management in her last two years and was the runner-up in the Canadian Obesity Network Thesis Competition in 2007."

More information about my undergraduate program: http://fhs.mcmaster.ca/bhsc/
More information about the Naturopathic Medicine program: http://www.ccnm.edu/

And to finish off this blog post, I figured I'd add a couple of fun facts and common questions that I get asked!

Ten Fun Facts About Me!

1. How did you get interested in naturopathic medicine?

My parents were always into natural remedies for common conditions (colds, flus, etc.) and always attempted to use them prior to going the pharmaceutical route (although sadly I was definitely on my fair share of antibiotics growing up).  So, I had exposure to natural medicines from a young age.

As I entered my teens, my dad started seeing an acupuncturist and traditional Chinese herbalist (the same one that I ended up working with and shadowing many years down the road!).  Funny enough, as teens often do, I balked at these strange treatments and often made fun of the smelly teas that my dad brought home!  Ironically, my current practice is very much based in acupuncture and I do prescribe not so nice and/or smelly treatments sometimes too!

During this time, my aunt became ill with lung cancer.  While she was in the hospital, my dad brought her herbal teas from the Chinese herbalist daily.  Unfortunately, she didn't start the treatment until a very late stage in her disease and ended up passing away.  It was, however, my first exposure to using natural medicines for something more serious than the common cold.  Although it didn't work in this case, it did get the wheels turning.

Despite all of these exposures, I still wanted to be a conventional MD.  I had ever since I was thirteen years old and I didn't think anything would change that.  I was heavily involved in the sciences in high school and studied health sciences in university, still on my path towards becoming an MD.  It wasn't until the Canadian College of Naturopathic Medicine (CCNM) did a presentation at McMaster during my second year there, which I attended, that my path started to change.  It wasn't an immediate shift - I didn't really consider becoming an ND until about a year after the presentation.  

I began to research naturopathic medicine in more depth as well as conventional medicine, weighing the pros and cons of both.  I became increasingly frustrated with conventional medicine and it's limitations - namely a heavy reliance of pharmaceuticals and restraints of lengths of visits and time available to spend with patients.  I began to realize that in the majority of cases, drugs weren't curing diseases - they were simply masking and covering up symptoms so they weren't as bothersome anymore.  That wasn't good enough for me.  I wanted to do more than that, and I believed that it was possible to do more than that.

In my final two years, the courses that I took reflected this shift.  I studied nutrition and heavily focused on natural medicine in courses that allowed me the flexibility to study what interested me.  In my last year I applied to CCNM, and the rest is history!

2. Is it true that you initially rejected your acceptance to CCNM?

Sadly, yes!  It seems preposterous now and wildly stupid, but made sense at the time.  I still wasn't 100% committed to becoming an ND at the time when I applied.  I'd put so much effort (blood, sweat, and tears) into becoming an MD - it was my dream for almost half my life at this point.  I'd sacrificed a summer writing the MCAT and tortured myself with a year of organic chemistry.  To just give that all up and get off that path was really a hard decision even though, at this point, my belief in conventional medicine had greatly diminished.  It was difficult to let go.

I had applied to CCNM in January 2007 and received an acceptance letter back later that month (if I remember correctly).  Because of the caliber of my application, I was accepted even without an interview (rare)!  I clearly remember opening that acceptance letter while sitting on the couch.  It seemed too easy - where was the challenge?  I tossed it aside onto the table and laughed.  I didn't respond to it.  I even received a phone call from CCNM a couple of months later (as I was clearing my apartment out in Hamilton getting ready to move back home after graduation) and basically told them thanks but no thanks.  Thank God I soon (within a month or so of that call) realized my mistake and promptly contacted CCNM, desperately hoping that they'd take me back.  Luckily, they did and I started at CCNM in September 2007.

I eventually realized that naturopathic medicine's challenge wasn't getting in but it was the program itself.  I've been told by quite a few MD students that the ND program seems so much harder than theirs, most likely because of the fact that we have to study pretty much everything they do as well as multiple other complete systems of medicine (traditional Chinese medicine, botanical medicine, homeopathic medicine, clinical nutrition).  It was tough, and very challenging, which only made it all that much more worthwhile and rewarding once completed :)

3. What were your first exposures to working within the healthcare industry?

I first volunteered at Lakeridge Health Oshawa in the fracture clinic - I checked patients in, showed them to their rooms and coordinated the schedule and waiting room for that day.  In the summer after I graduated from high school, I was privileged to volunteer in the surgical suite.  I was a fascinating experience for me as I was always intrigued by surgery and all it entails.  I continued volunteering at the McMaster University Medical Centre in a variety of different settings throughout my undergrad.  Each position was enlightening and definitely a learning experience which I feel have contributed to my understanding of patients' experiences within the medical system.

4. Is it true that you didn't find out that you won the Governor's Award of Excellence until your graduation day?

Yes, that's right!  In true CCNM fashion, I wasn't notified at all about this award (I actually didn't even know that it existed!).  As I was lined up outside of convocation hall with my classmates, my boyfriend came to find me and said, "You didn't tell me that you won an award!"  He'd thought that I was keeping it a surprise from him and my family, he didn't know that I had no idea about it!  Needless to say, I was shocked.  Thankfully, I found out from him beforehand and didn't just find out when they called my name!  If that had happened, I REALLY would've been shocked, and I'm not sure that I would've made it to the stage without collapsing!!

5. Is it true that you grew up only a couple of minutes away from where you're now practicing?

Yes, also true!  From the age of five to nineteen, I lived in the Rossland/Waverly area of Oshawa.  I now practice in the Rossland/Simcoe area of Oshawa, which is just a few minutes away!  I even attended Adelaide McLaughlin Public School and R.S. McLaughlin Collegiate for both elementary and high school, which are even closer to my practice!  I never would've thought that I'd be working in the neighbourhood in which I grew up, but that's just the way it worked out and what I suppose life has planned for me right now.  I'm really happy to be back in Oshawa after being away at school for eight years and to be giving back to and serving my hometown.

6. What are your interests OUTSIDE of naturopathic medicine?

Good question!  Sometimes, it's easy to become consumed by your career, and instead of just having naturopathic medicine as a career, it can come to define who you are (which isn't good).

I've always been into music - I played alto saxophone from grade 7-12 and actively participated in the concert and jazz bands throughout my schooling and attended music camp (I guess you can say that I was somewhat of a band geek!).  I've also been into trampoline for a long time!  In addition to having one in my backyard for fun, I competed at the provincial level while I was in high school with Anti-Gravity Trampoline (http://www.anti-gravity.ca/).  Sadly, once I left for university the competitive days were over, but I still love to jump just for fun!  I also love rollerblading and biking in the summer.

Writing is an enjoyable hobby for me (I just completed my first novel!) and I absolutely LOVE roller coasters!  You can bet I'm going to be riding the new Leviathan coaster at Wonderland multiple times this summer :P  There are some groups that put together coaster trips where you can visit a bunch of parks and get early riding time on the best coasters - I'd love to do that one day.  I also love to travel and hope to visit lots of places in my lifetime!

7. What's your dream job/scenario (as an ND)?

I've always said that if I ever came into a huge amount of money I'd love to have a massive naturopathic medical clinic that offers naturopathic care and treatments free of charge.  There are so many people who could benefit from naturopathic medicine but many of them can't afford it.  I offer free fifteen minute meet the doctor consults, and it just breaks my heart when I see such a need and a willingness from the patient to pursue this type of medicine but without the funds that would enable them to do so.

8. Do you have a favourite naturopathic modality that you tend to rely on more than others?

Not really.  I truly believe in highly customized and individualized treatments, and therefore will choose what modalities are best suited for each patient.  This is dependent on a multitude of factors and does change over time as well.  Having said that, I do have a certain affinity for clinical nutrition (especially diet as that is often at the root of many health conditions), botanical/herbal medicine, and traditional Chinese medicine and acupuncture.  I currently don't practice naturopathic bodywork or spinal manipulation as I work in a clinic with chiropractors and massage therapists who are much more specialized in those modalities!

9. Do you have any siblings?

Yes, I have one younger brother, Jeffrey, and one younger sister, Rachael (I'm the oldest)!

10. Do you have any kids?

No, not at the moment!  I'd love to have kids one day though.  For now, I'm happy with my two beautiful nieces, Venessa and Claire.

And that's it!  Thanks for reading.  I hope you learned a little more about me :)

If you have any more questions, please send them my way (corenaturopathics@gmail.com) and I'd be happy to answer them.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Dr. McNamee...you left something out...ME lol. I can solemnly attest to your skills and understanding. I've been a 'patient' since high school and you've never steered me wrong. Your knowledge and keen skill at identifying not only the problem but the best way to treat it, helps me and I know that you are on your way to letting the rest of the city know this...I'm just lucky to have you as my best friend, you don't just treat the problem you heal the person <3 Andrea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words, Andrea! I really appreciate you taking time to comment :-)

      And for those of you who are reading these comments - Andrea's been my best friend since high school (and no, I didn't pay her or bribe her in any way to say nice things about me lol)

      Delete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.